Saturday, February 6, 2010

Stratford-Upon- Avon







And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything.
- William Shakespeare, As You Like It"

Today was a great day! I happily woke at 7:00 am after staying up until about 3:00 am to get on the bus to travel to a wonderful wonderful place (I'll give you a hint, it's the title of this blog oop!) Why did I stay up until 3:00 am when i had such a wonderful field trip mapped out for me the next morning!? Well! Some person decided that it would be a PERFECT time to play the
bongo drums at 2:30 am right outside my flat. Why would it be a PERFECT time to start playing the bongo drums at 2:30 a. right outside my flat? That is the same question I asked myself over and over and over while tucked away trying to sleep with the rhythmic beats of bongo man parading through my head.

anyways! i went to STRATFORD-UPON-AVON today! (and the crowd of English and theatre majors goes wild!! ahhh!!!) If you do not know what is the significance of Stratford-Upon-Avon is i will give you three hints

1) there was an important man born and raised there
2) "To be or not to be..."
3) The famous playwright died in 1616 at the age of 52. He wrote on average 1.5 plays a year since he first started in 1589.

IT'S WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE!!




This is a photo of the foundation his house was on. This house was purchased after he was married and had a family. The first picture on the top left is William's childhood home.







This is William's school that he attended from age 10-12. It is still a school today. Imagine saying ," oh yea.. i go to school where William Shakespeare went to school." KINDA COOL!



This is Ann Hathaway's (Shakespeare's wife) childhood home. We actually got to go inside and it was really really neat! it had the original floors (meaning I stood where William stood at one point in his life!). It also had most of the original furniture. the ceilings were also very short. I'm a whoppin' 5.4" and i had to duck under every doorway. I guess they just didn't have tall American football player men like they do these days!

Overall the trip was great! The town of Stratford was very cute. It had lots of little shops and pubs. Oh! we ate lunch at a place called the Windmill Inn and it was a small hole in the wall pub. It's known for the fact that William himself wrote some f his wonderful work inside that very pub. -the food was great and I just had so much inspiration from the man himself that i decided to write my own genius play. so I did. During lunch. It should be published by next month. it will be a hit.

1 comment:

  1. So did you fall in love with this William man? huh? huh!? kidding :D

    ReplyDelete